Greening The Valley

My sustainability column articles in The Observer (Sarnia-Lambton) in 2006

Sunday, July 02, 2006

An introduction, and Happy Earth Day greetings




- April 22, 2006, The Observer
Let me introduce myself, and my friend Sustainability


When Gaylord Nelson founded the first Earth Day 36 years ago, I doubt he could have imagined the global movement it would help deliver. That April 22nd in 1970, twenty million Americans participated and members of Congress had the day off to listen. Since then, a number of federal acts in the United States and Canada have been put in place to regulate problems such as air pollutants, water quality, pesticides, land practices and quality of the Great Lakes.
Today as I begin this environmental column in The Observer, there exist thousands of environmental organizations and millions of campaigners worldwide, a Global Green political movement and businesses and institutions who are considering ecological concerns at every stage. My current education is part of this movement. At the University of Waterloo I am completing a degree in Environment and Resource Studies, an interdisciplinary program where I’ve been able to choose from a diverse set of courses, from Restoration Ecology to Environmental Journalism. Focus is on how to solve problems of the environment from all perspectives. And when you and I talk about “the environment” we’re talking about ourselves and all the things that exist around us; the items we use as resources for our daily activities.
With an upbringing in Sarnia, I owe a debt of gratitude to Mrs. WJ Hanna, who made the decision that land within the City should be set aside, and donated the money to make that happen. This forward-thinking decision allowed a childhood free to explore the forests, beach and spend time searching for Tarzan in Canatara Park. I became concerned about our environment as a teenager, when my interest in weather led me to notice that air quality readings in Sarnia were often the worst in the province. This moved me to research the possible causes and take a keen interest in other local and global issues.
Locally I have been on the Sarnia Urban Wildlife Committee, Sarnia Environmental Activists and started the Environment Club when I attended St. Patrick’s High School. I was and continue to be inspired and taught by several Sarnia-Lambton environmentalists and naturalists. Last Summer I coordinated Neighbourwoods, a study to assess the health of the city’s urban forest. Results and plans will be publicized this year.
I have been actively involved at the University of Waterloo initiating and coordinating environmental organizations that promote sustainability at all levels of the campus. My interest in journalism has led me to write and photograph for my campus newspaper. I’ve edited a Sarnia newsletter called The Cucumber and written book reviews for various publications.
The global issues we now face are of the greatest consequence for the next couple generations. New studies show that climate change could put the world’s major cities under water by 2100. Worldwide issues like poverty, AIDS, smog, species extinction and food and water shortages challenge the long-term sustainability of humans living on this planet. We are having an impact on these issues and we must face them at local levels.
Sustainability is our great challenge. We must get to a place where the demands we put on the environment can be met without harming future generations. It’s not so much a choice. But currently it is not being achieved, though many good things are being done. If Sarnia-Lambton is to have permanent successful economic conditions, with happy people in a healthy city, we’re going to have to change our course. We must imagine what a sustainable city would look like and then move toward that goal.
And that is what Greening The Valley will reflect. How, individually and as a group, we can affect different aspects of sustainability. We are going to achieve it in Sarnia, and now is the time to do it. Problems and solutions that may be identified from the City’s Community Round Table and a proposed environmental superplan are a potential starting point. Sarnians could benefit sustainability at an even greater scale if we become leaders and a model for other jurisdictions.
Gaylord Nelson, the Wisconsin senator and environmentalist died last summer. So did Greenpeace co-founder and ecojournalist Bob Hunter, and inspiring and active Sarnia nature preserver and friend, Art Teasell. Native Lambtoner Henry Koch who passed away December 25th was an outstanding advocate for organic agriculture, native plants and the ecological lifestyle. I see it as my and our collective responsibility to continue the steps that have been made by these hard-working people. So let’s begin.

--------------------------
Darcy Higgins is a native of Sarnia who is currently completing a degree in Environmental Studies. He can be reached by e-mail at darcyhiggins@gmail.com

1 Comments:

At 4/23/2008 8:50 AM, Blogger MerryBaby said...

YEAH St Patrick's Environment Club! I thought you would be proud to know that I am starting an environmentally friendly business! Aren't you proud of me??
Hope all is well.
I'll be back in Sarnia for Canada day - you should stop by my booth in Canatara and talk over a peach juice!
Happy belated Earth Day.
Mere

 

Post a Comment

<< Home